Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mad about my Yerba Mate


Mad I tell ya! Most people that know me know that coffee is my poison of choice, but Yerba Mate comes in at a realllly close second. I found this yummy stuff when the wonderful Tea Noir included a sample of her magnificent Mocha Mate in one of my orders and I've been smitten ever since. While I still love her Mates (pronounced Mot-tay) I've been dabbling with a few other brews like that are sooo good including my new favorite Cocoa Mint Mate which is what's brewing in my french press above. For those not in the know Mate is a South American herb that's a great alternative to teas and is most popular in Argentina, while my preferred method to brew it is my french press (surprise surprise) the traditional way to drink it is in a small hollowed out gourd with a long filter straw made of metal called a bombilla.

It is available in tea bags my favorite is Pixie Mate if your on the go and can't be bothered with brewing it the traditional way, I must say that it is soooo much better the traditional way though. One thing I love about this stuff is it really packs a punch that lasts without the jitters that it's cohort coffee tends to hash out. I could seriously drink this stuff all day long and the best part? There's no headaches or addiction when you don't drink it, unlike my beloved coffee. So if your looking for an alternative to coffee or green tea, or just wanna try something new I urge you to give it a go. It's known for it's euphoric effects and I can honestly say it makes you feel pretty darn good. Go ahead and try and frown when you have a nice steamy cup this stuff....go ahead I dare ya.

13 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

Thanks for the reminder..it's been a long while since I last had a mate.

Though I know longer drink the milk, nor the soy...maybe almond milk will do. How'bout you?


Please had the "follow" button, so we can...

melissa said...

I love Mate! I haven't had a cup in awhile. I drink mine w/ rice milk, its still mummy.

Nosideup said...

Oh, mate, I haven't had mate for a while...
Do try the link for the 3 columns. it is seriously doable!
Thanks for passing by!

T.Allen said...

How can I pass up an opportunity after a recommendation this good?! I'm going to try it and I'll be back to let you know all about my adventures with Mate!

Bruno and Betty said...

Teri- Almond milk sounds awesome!

So does rice milk Brandon.
I usually just use a splash of cream but am tempted to be more adventurous after hearing some of your recommendations!

t.allen- Do it! I assure you, you won't be disappointed or feel free to come back and yell at me. :) Happy drinking all!
xoxo
M.M

moxylyn said...

I wish I had the taste buds for tea. I do love me some peppermint when I'm sick though!

Bruno and Betty said...

You and me both moxylyn! Mmmmm peppermint.

Kim Caro said...

im really into thai tea. :)

Jewelry Rockstar said...

Interesting, I'm gonna give it a try.

Bruno and Betty said...

Thai tea is sooo good. A co worker of my used to drink it like it was going out of style!

Do it Jewelry rockstar! Let me know how you like it.

iPictured This said...

Winter is on its way, and it's the only time I drink tea :) So with tea season approaching I should try this....sounds good. Thanks.

SnappyShop.etsy said...

I'm definitely gonna try it. where do you get it?

Bruno and Betty said...

Betty, It's avaliable at health food stores and online as well. My favorite places online are Tea Noir (there's a link in the post) and Pixie Mate. Happy drinking!